Sunday, July 28, 2013

Witness to Domestic Violence

This was a tough blog for me. I personally have not experienced any of the stressors discussed or know anyone that has. So, I looked to my preschoolers. I have one child that has been witness to domestic violence at the young age of 3.5 years old. When he started in my class this past February, he was living in a battered women's shelter. Mom had a broken leg from dads abuse. He would come into class and put his hands around our neck when he was angry. He also did not talk and had screaming fits. This was all related to the violence that he saw. I am happy to say that he is now talking, happy to come to school, and is not having any screaming fits. He has come a long way and I cannot wait to work with him again this school year to see even more progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment