Sunday, November 24, 2013

My Connections to Play

In our play we reveal what kind of people we are.

Ovid
Roman poet


Children need the freedom and time to play. Play is not a luxury. Play is a necessity.

Kay Redfield Jamison

 

Today play is considered a luxury- which we all know is not what is appropriate for our young learners.  When children play today, more then likely they are playing with electronics by themselves.  Today, play is so different from play even 10 years ago, let alone when I was a child over 20 years ago.  My parents did not buy me any electronic games. I have never owned a playstation, or wii, etc. I was encouraged to use my imagination and creativity (the pictures I have added are what I played with the most as a child).  I think in the 21st century, there is so much of a focus on play being with electronics, and play being isolated to oneself. Luckily for children who attend early learning centers/preschools that know the importance of play, they have that opportunity to be creative with their minds. But there needs to be more of a push for families to get back to playing with each other, and not through electronics.





2 comments:

  1. Emily,
    I 100% agree that children now a days have a tendancy to play solo instead of a group or with their family as I did when I was young. Everything is focused on electronics and media lately, and it seems that that is all that kids are focused on lately. I recently watched my nieces overnight, they are 7 and 9, and all they wanted to do was watch TV or play on their IPads. To me this is so sad and wish families can make more time to play and spend time together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your post. Electronics have taken over our children's playtime. I also believe that a lot of parents are using the electronics and television as a babysitter for their children. As long as the children are quiet and occupied, the parents have an opportunity to do the things that they need to do without interruption, but this is hurting our children.

    ReplyDelete