Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Professional Hopes and Goals

One hope that I have for working with diverse families and backgrounds is that  I will continue to advocate for diverse families to gain the resources and support that they need.

One goal I would like to set for the early childhood field is that there be continued professional development in regards to diversity. The teacher education preparation programs at a collegial level recognize this need, but the field outside of college needs to continue to see the need for professional development for the already hired staff.

Thank you to my peers within this course for the positive feedback in our discussions and blogs. Sometimes it is nice (and needed) to hear positive things from other professionals.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Emily:
    I enjoyed reading your BLOG Assignment for Week 8. It was very insightful; especially the topic of professional development. Professional Development in the area of culture, diversity, and equity, should definitely be ongoing and continuous for in-service teachers.
    Happy Week 8
    La Neisha MC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hope for working with diverse families that you will continue to advocate diverse families to gain the resources and support that they need, it important to look for the resources. As Nadiyah explained in the video for the Diversity and equity work: Lessons learned that there are lots of resources, but lots of people they are not looking at it. I enjoy reading the anti-books book, and since I start reading I keep continuing to learn. Resources are a great way to support the diverse families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily
    I am in total agreement that there needs to be continuous professional development in the area of diversity not only for teaching staff but all staff that work directly or indirectly with the children and families.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would hope that continuing education with diversity would be taught and the materials would be relevant. I have sat through 20 years of on-going education and am angry through each course. I dreaded taking this class for 8 weeks but now I appreciate the materials and the self-reflection that I received. It would be amazing to use some of this course to educate others in ECE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be nice if they had these type of courses to undergraduate degrees and anyone who plans to work with the public. It is time that we start cognizing that change is happening and we need to prepared to make all people are free from being the victim of bias and prejudice behaviors. I pray that you meet all your goals.

    ReplyDelete