Monday, November 30, 2015

Communication Conflict


Over the holiday I spent a good amount of time with my parents, I love them, but 5 full days of them can be a bit much.  I experienced many communication conflicts over those 5 days. So for this assignment I am looking at the two of them and how they could handle conflict a bit differently.  The two skills I am looking at for them come for the Third Side (n.d.)

1.       The goal is not to end or eliminate conflict but transform the way it is expressed.

-          My mother is a perfect example of this. She is a yeller and a door slammer. She always says she “feels better” when she behaves in this way, but I do not feel it is an effective form of communication, which I have shared with her J which has elicited yelling and door slamming, lol.

 

2.       You do not have to take sides in a conflict, nor do you need to remain neutral.

-          This skill applies to me more than my parents. I frequently am pitted against each parent because I am an only child and they want me to support their cause. I often say “I am Switzerland, leave me alone.”  I can take sides when needed especially if it is something I am in agreement with. This past week it was how the Green Bay Packers laid an egg on Thanksgiving night while we were there in the miserable weather.  That is something I could take a side on.

 

The Third Side. (n.d.). The third side. Retrieved from http://www.thirdside.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment