Monday, November 7, 2016

Jobs/Roles in the ECE Community: Internationally

1.       Association for Childhood Education International  http://acei.org/
ACEI is a global community of educators and advocates who unite knowledge, experience, and perspectives in order to exchange information, explore innovation and advocate for children. Our mission is to promote innovative solutions to education challenges and inspire action that creates positive, sustainable futures for children and youth worldwide. Every child in every nation will have access to a quality education. This education will prepare children to become responsible and engaged citizens, ready for life in a changing world.
ACEI's Country Liaison program encourages the development of a network of ACEI volunteer liaisons from various nations around the world. The purpose of this network is to gather information about childhood education practices and policies in various nations, share this information with members and supporters, provide information to support the development of association programs, and promote international and intercultural understanding.

I think it would be very interesting to be a volunteer liaison to report and discuss the different happenings around the world in regards to global education! According to the website there is no formal volunteer application but anyone working to educate, protect and nurture young children in their communities are welcome to share their stories.

2.       Children  International https://www.children.org/

The goal of Children International is to end poverty. Like the world-changers who support our organization, we are focused on making a long-term impact by helping kids living in poverty. We have a bold vision: graduating healthy, educated, empowered and employed young adults from our program so they can achieve the goal of breaking the cycle of poverty.

This organization is one that is near and dear to my heart. My family sponsors a child through Children International. It was actually one of my Christmas presents a few years ago. We get updates on our child that talks about what he is doing as he is growing up. We also get to know what specific gift he got for his birthday or Christmas based on the money we are donating.  In a world where “we” have it all, I think it is good to give back. I really don’t need anything in life, I am fortunate and I know that, so why shouldn’t my gift be to help someone who is less fortunate.

3.       UNICEF- Be K.I.N.D.
This is another organization that is near and dear to my heart. This particular sector of UNICEF simply gives children desks in Malawi, Africa. Every day, millions of children throughout Africa struggle to learn while sitting on the floor or on the ground outdoors. Giving them a desk, where they can write and concentrate, is the first step towards creating an educational system that attracts, and keeps, eager young students.
Again, like Children International, this has been a Christmas present of mine and one that I give to friends/family. Talk about supporting education….if you don’t even have a desk to do work, how is that going to help your educational journey.

5 comments:

  1. These are all awesome organizations!! When looking at my organizations I unintentionally found a theme that one aspect of them is how amazing of a resource they could all be for various information. I love how yours are geared towards truly helping! It's true, it doesn't have to be an educational organization to help a child have a better life which could lead to a better future. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just amazing to think about the many groups and organizations working in behalf of children and families in places all around the world. I agree, it would be interesting to be an ACEI volunteer liaison and have the opportunity to learn about education and early learning in so many places around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is wonderful your family is sponsoring a child through Children International. The organization has a lofty goal but one that is worth every effort. I believe helping children in poverty break the cycle is very important. I personally think being employed with Children International would be very fulfilling on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Emily,
    I agree and think it would be very interesting to be a volunteer liaison, reporting and especially researching and analyzing trends in global ECE. Since there is no formal volunteer application, I’ve often thought about sharing stories on the site. Given my time and the plate of work before me, let me confess that my intentions are good but the follow through is sadly lacking.
    Like you, my family sponsors a child through CI. Like you, it was a Christmas gift to the staff at the school where I used to work, several years ago. My husband and I have continued to sponsor our child over these past years and it is heartening to see what tremendous impact a few dollars a month can bring to those most in need. Another organization I support is Heifer International, an organization the gives animals to families in need (not to eat but for things like milk, eggs, wool, etc). This organization was introduced to me through my old school, and it is very novel and in my mind, practical for those truly in need. Here’s the link, just in case. https://www.heifer.org/about-heifer/index.html
    Nice post,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sandi- Heifer Intl. is a great organization and one my family has supported over the years. This time of year is a great time to remind everyone the importance of giving to those in need.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete