Tuesday, April 1, 2014

NAEYC Website

I chose to examine the NAEYC Website. As previously mentioned, I am a member, but have not really taken the time to examine the website in depth.

The first part of the Website I looked at was the topic of Common Core Standards, since that was part of this weeks discussions.  I was able to read over the article NAEYC published for this weeks discussions regarding the cautions and opportunities the CCS allow.

The other article I read, discussed CCS in Kindergarten, and how there are so many differences in each states Kindergarten program, that having nationwide standards may be a disservice since there are so many different variables regarding the implementation of Kindergarten. While completing this weeks discussions, I had not really thought about this point. I was so focused on the "push-down" effect, that it really didn't even dawn on me about the different variables that Kindergarten presents and how the CCS may not be appropriate to implement in Kindergarten (Snow, 2012).

The other part of the NAEYC website that caught my attention this week was the "Voices of Practitioners" section.  This is where teacher research is published. It is a great place for teachers who are doing great things in their classroom let other early childhood educators see it, without having to go through the hassle of publishing. There was one teacher summary regarding diversity in classrooms.


Snow, K.(2012). Variation in children's experience in kindergarten and the common core standards.
                             National Association for the Education of Young Children. Washington D.C.








Variation in Children’s

Experience of Kindergarten

and the Common Core
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Emily - Thank for blogging about the Core Common Standards. That is a subject that has been on my radar for sometime. I am looking forward to reviewing the information. The research information is intriguing as well because I wasn't aware that there was a place for postings on the NAEYC site for that.

    ReplyDelete